Tuesday 2 September 2014

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D Troodon Action Figure

Since my last review on the Walking with Dinosaurs 3D Patchi Vs Gorgon action figure set, my Troodon figure from the same series has arrived in the mail, and I was very excited to see this thing in person! I was not disappointed.


Let me start of with giving a bit of information about Troodons. Troodon is commonly mispronounced as troo-don. The correct way to pronounce it is troh-o-don. Troodon is regarded by paleontologists to be the most intelligent of all dinosaurs with its large brain, which was much bigger in comparison to it's body than other dinosaurs. It also had big eyes and was very fast. It was believed to have possibly been feathered as well. Since my last review on the Walking with Dinosaurs 3D Patchi Vs Gorgon action figure set, my Troodon figure from the same series has arrived in the mail, and I was very excited to see this thing in person! I was not dissappointed.

Let me start of with giving a bit of information about Troodons. Troodon is commonly mispronounced as troo-don. The correct way to prounounce it is troh-o-don. Troodon is regarded by paleontologists to be the most intelligent of all dinosaurs with its large brain, which was much bigger in comparison to its body than other dinosaurs. It also had big eyes and was very fast. It was believed to have possibly been feathered as well.


Troodon arrived from Amazon.co.uk very well packaged, in a box filled with shredded magazine paper. I very excitedly opened up the box, trying my best to not wake up my parents in the morning, and there he was. Beautiful Troodon, waiting to be inspected and reviewed! Upon opening the box, I examined my new model for any marks. He does have some sloppily painted areas and a few, minor paint marks. But this doesn't bother me that much, because Troodon is simply beautiful. He's accurate and his sculpt is very well made. As I write this review, Troodon is by my side, with the rest of my Walking with Dinosaurs figures.



He's my only dinosaur figure so far that is fully feathered, which is accurate to this type of dinosaur. The feathers are very well done. They're nicely textured and sculpted. It's a breath of fresh air to see a dinosaur figure with a proper covering of feathers. Many companies have attempted to try feathers on small, meat eating dinosaurs but often the results recieve mixed reviews due to usually not having a full covering of feathers or looking too movie monster-ish.


Troodon is reasonably well painted for what he is, a toy. Despite some sloppy paint application. He has a lovely mixture of shiny black feathers, with orange hues to a light and creamy colour on the underside. He also has a yellow feather crest on his head and a black and grey tail fan. Tail fans on feathered dinosaurs are speculative, but not out of the question. I think it's a very nice touch.


Troodon has articulated arms, legs, head and has a jaw that can be opened. Not quite as much as Gorgon the Gorgosaurus, but still enough for a bit of stop-motion (my main intended purpose with these toys). He doesn't have oversized feet to help him balance, but instead can balance on all fours with his arm feathers touching the ground. Alternatively, you can balance him on his tail instead. Did I mention he 'talks' and has about four different sounds?


The only main problem I've heard about the Troodon figure, is that he isn't very durable. These reports are from parents who's children are playing with the figure, so it is likely that if you are a collector, Troodon will stay intact just fine. But if you are reading this review with the intention to buy this figure for a child, just a warning that it may be best to give this figure to an older child rather than a toddler.


Now onto the rest of the scientific accuracy, his snout is the right shape, but facing the front he looks a bit goofy, which is a problem with Gorgon as well. It would've been nice if he has more detail on his face, like scales. The legs are skinny, but not too skinny. Which is correct for the bird-like Troodon. His teeth are very small, almost non-existant and I feel his eyes could be a bit bigger, but that's just nitpicking. Also his arm feathers could do with being all the way to the top of his arm, but obviously there's no feathers on the very top otherwise the articulated joints wouldn't move properly. So I'm willing to excuse that


Overall he's a pretty cool, cute, interesting and fun action figure! I'd say he is the best, and my personal favourite of the Walking with Dinosaurs action figures for his lovely textural detail and scientific accuracy. A must have for dinosaur toy and model collectors everywhere. My only problem with him is the goofy look when you see him front facing and the slight sloppiness. Other than that, a great toy.
 

1 comment:

  1. Good that you reviwed this figure, because not many people have done it! You showed a lot of good pics too, but WHY NO SIZE COMPARISONS man????!!!!! Size and scale is a HUGE deal for many collectors so whyyyyy did you not show any?? One of the nicest things of being a collector is putting different stuff together and see how it works out, see if it fits...I'm sure you can understand that.

    ReplyDelete